Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Jimmy Claus, #11

Here's an MLB Special Report by Bonnie Clark.

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins sat down and answered a few questions about Christmas memories that he holds near and dear.

MLB.com: What are you looking forward to most this Christmas?

Rollins: I am giving a PAL family -- a mother and her four kids -- Christmas this year. I heard that they weren't going to have a Christmas since the mother is out of work, so I'm going to change that and play Jimmy Claus. I'm really looking forward to seeing the kids' expressions when they get the gifts.

MLB.com: What's your favorite Christmas tradition?

Rollins: Well, it used to be my grandma's peach cobbler, but now it's definitely my mom's apple pie a la mode. It's got to be warm, you know when the ice cream melts on top of the pie. Christmas this year just won't be the same without my mom's apple pie since I'm not going back home to have it.

MLB.com: Do you still believe in Santa?

Rollins: Oh my goodness, yes! Wink, wink.

MLB.com: Have you been good or bad this year?

Rollins: Oh, um, I've been on both sides of the fence this year, but mostly I've been good. Although I didn't run out a popup.

MLB.com: What's the best gift you've ever gotten?

Rollins: There were a couple in my younger days. When I was like 8 or 9 it was my aqua-colored Cycle Pro bike. My second favorite was a remote-control car. My best adult gift was the Nikon D80 camera that Johari -- Ms. Claus -- gave me.

MLB.com: What's your favorite holiday movie?

Rollins: Wow -- definitely "A Christmas Story." My favorite part is when his tongue gets stuck on the flag pole. I also like when his father gets the lamp. My second favorite is the original "Home Alone" movie, especially when he shaves.

MLB.com: How many of Santa's reindeer can you name?

Rollins: Rudolf. ... Everyone knows Rudolf. ... Um, Dancer, Prancer, that's about it. You get to a certain age when you don't have to remember them anymore.

MLB.com: What gift would you get for Charlie Manuel?

Rollins: Rosetta Stone.

MLB.com: Ryan Howard?

Rollins: Definitely golf lessons. He's a terrible golfer.

MLB.com: Shane Victorino?

Rollins: I'd get him his own SMU (special makeup) cleats. He always steals mine. He's definitely worthy of his own now.

MLB.com: Do you shop early or wait til Christmas Eve?

Rollins: I always wait until the last 72 hours. In fact, I still have to get Johari a Garmin GPS.